NOW HIRING – Technical Apprentice
Commonweal Theatre Company, a professional theatre celebrating their 340th season, is accepting resumes for the position of a Technical Apprentice. Hire dates begin April 2022. The theatre, new in 2007, is an intimate 200 seat, three-quarter round thrust stage. Located in historic Lanesboro in the heart of Southeastern Minnesota’s bluff country (approx. two hours south of Minneapolis/St. Paul), the Commonweal boasts a rare organizational model of artist/administrator, where artists fulfill the day-to-day artistic and operational needs of the company.
Season runs from March through December – 6 shows/week. The 2022 season is: I Ought to Be in Pictures, Leading Ladies, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Good People, and Alice in Winter Wonderland. The season runs in a rotating repertory schedule.
You will be a member of the apprentice company and work with fellow apprentices to create a capstone project to be performed in March 2023. As an apprentice, you will also serve as a member of the production team as well as rotate through the development and marketing teams.
Housing is provided in addition to compensation at an artist’s residence located two blocks from the theatre. Stipend is $100/week.
- Serve as an Assistant Stage Manager or Designer for our mainstage season.
- Act as Stage Manager/designer for the 2022 Apprentice Project (title to be determined)
- Call and run performances of assigned shows which includes operating computerized sound and lighting systems
- Maintain a safe, smooth running environment
- Participate in all changeovers while in the repertory season.
- Serve as part of the production team under the supervision of the Production Manager
- A BFA or BA in theatre OR equivalent experience
- Computer savvy (Must know Microsoft Office and Google Systems)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- The ability to work efficiently and gracefully under pressure
- Ability to work as part of a team (with a sense of humor and generosity of spirit)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Basic knowledge of sound and lighting systems
Accepting resumes until the position is filled.
Please submit a resume with a brief introduction and at least three references (phone numbers and email addresses) electronically to Rachel Kuhnle at companymanager@
Please email a current photo and resume to:
Please email a letter of inquiry, current resume and three references to:
Commonweal Theatre Company
P O Box 15
Lanesboro, MN 55949
This 10-month immersive experience in directing, acting, technical theatre or theatre administration is an ideal transition from undergraduate studies into the professional world. Applications are closed for the 2022-2023 apprentice class. To apply for the 2023-2024 apprentice class, CLICK HERE to learn more.
For further questions about auditions, production design and/or apprenticeships, email firstname.lastname@example.org.